Re: How to 'unset" something

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: How to 'unset" something
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 11:19:56 -0600

On 3/5/06, Carrick Patterson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Including the Macintosh? If it's there, I can't find it with the most
> elaborate
> file-searching method I own.

[Response at bottom; please bottom-quote.]

> Quoting Erik Sandberg <address@hidden>:

> > > First finding this file was nearly impossible the
> > > website docs are misleading.
> >
> > It's not on the web, it's in your local installation of lilypond (in some
> > data
> > dir). The exact location depends on your OS, but you'll probably find it if
> > you scan your entire file system.

Hi Carrick,

Try

/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/2.7.35/ly/property-init.ly

If you're using spotlight, spotlight may (or may not) refuse to search
application directories like /Applications/LilyPond.app. (spotlight
behaves this way for me under  10.4.4, for example) ... and,
entertainingly, while non-Mac users usually know that spotlight exists
and what it does, they usually don't know that spotlight specifically
doesn't search certain important places.

In future, you have two good choices for finding important things in
the lilypond resources under OS X:

1. open a terminal window and read about the UNIX find command with

  man find

Then you can do stuff like

  cd /Applications/LilyPond.app
  find . -name 'property-init.ly'

2. Download the lilypond sourcecode from the downloads page on the
site and put the resulting lilypond-2.7.x folder somewhere that you
can easily get to (your desktop or a favorite folder) and *then*
spotlight will very happily search *that* downloaded folder of source,
by passing the problem of not searching /Applications/LilyPond.app.

(A third option is to tell spotlight to search and index your
LilyPond.app folder, but I've never bothered so I'm not quite sure how
that would work.)

HTH.

--
Trevor Bača