ugly song help

From: Aaron Mehl
Subject: ugly song help
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:24:53 -0800 (PST)

 Hi all,
I notated a song with lyrics which are crunched together.

The code is below.  I gather most of you won't be able to read the hebrew, but I would guess the same behaviour happens sometimes with english.

The original song has all the eight notes and sixteenth notes with flags. While this may infact solve the problem, I don't like reading music with flags only, I find my eyes like beams.

So is there an easy (I mean easy) way to make this look nice?

I read about the possibility of setting the note value for spacing. Is this the way I should be going.

I have many songs to set so if it requires some tweak I would probably want to put it in a variable, right.

I hate to say this since I HATE Finale, but they had a feature which applied to the notation different spacing defaults.

I haven't touched Finale in ages but it was as I recall, beat spacing, note spacing, measure spacing.

This would be a great feature to notate a piece and on the command line:

lilypond -s beat mysong.ly
lilypond -s measure mysong.ly

maybe even with the ability to make the spacing apply to a range of measures.

Aaron

\header{
        title = " No.  2 לכה דודי "
        subtitle = " ניגון פון גערער חסידים "
        poet = "אויפגענומען פון ג, גענדליש לאדז "
        composer = " "
        meter = "Moderato"
        opus = ""
        arranger = " "
        instrument = ""
        dedication = " "
        piece = ""
        head = ""
        copyright = ""
        footer = ""
        tagline = ""
}

#(set-global-staff-size 16)
#(set-default-paper-size "a4")

\score {
 {

        \set Staff.midiInstrument = "acoustic grand"
        \time 2/4
        \key d \major
        \clef treble
\repeat volta 2 {
        a'8 fis' b' a'16 g' |
        fis'8 a' a' d'' |
        a' fis' b' a'16 g' |
        fis'8 a' a' d'' |
%5
        a' fis' b' a'16 g' |
        fis'8 d' e' d'}
        \alternative {{e'16 fis' g' fis' e'8 b' |
        a'2}
        {e'16 fis' g' fis' e'8 a' |
%10
        d'2 }}

 }

\addlyrics{טרי לי לי - לי טרי לי לי  לי ל כה דו - די לק ראת כ לה טרי לי לי - לי טרי לי לי  לי  פני ש בת נ קב ־ לה פני ש בת נ קב ־ לה
                                                  }

        \layout {
 }

        \midi {