Re: Lyric word spanning two notes

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lyric word spanning two notes
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:20:15 +0100

Please always tell what LilyPond version you use. Also, it's always a good
idea to include a small but complete example file of what you tried so far.

Basically, there are two methods to specify the "rhythm" of the lyrics
syllables:

1. By explicitly specifying the duration of each syllable, just as you do
 with notes:
\lyricmode { Let4 all mor4. -- tal8 | flesh2 keep | si -- lence, |

2. By specifying that the lyrics should be attached to a certain voice of
   music, using \lyricsto or \addlyrics.

Note that in case 1. you should not use \lyricsto or \addlyrics. However,
since 2. is mostly much more convenient to use, I will assume that that's
what you already use and want to use. Then, you can find a direct answer
to your question in section "7.3.5 Flexibility in alignment".

  /Mats

Stephen Torri wrote:

I have a measure in 2/2 time which I have four quarter notes. Below it I
want to have lyrics where one word is sung in two parts in this measure.
So the notes and lyrics go in a pseudo code fashion would be:

a  b  c  d
si -- lience

The notes 'a' and 'b' are paired with 'si--' where 'c' and 'd' are
paired with 'lience'. So far I have the lyrics for this song as:

%---------------------------
%   Lyrics
%---------------------------
words = \lyricmode { Let all mor -- tal | flesh keep | si -- lence, |
and with fear and }

I get an error message about my lyrics mode line because I believe its
expecting four words or syllables for measure #3. How do I tell lilypond
to be please let 'si' be one count in 2/2 time and 'lience' be for one
count?

Stephen

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing