Re: "context sensitive" layout

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: "context sensitive" layout
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:11:04 +0100

hi,

On 11/29/05, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> First of all, if you only have a single \book{...} in your
> .ly file, you could just as well remove it (the only reason
> to use \book{...} is if you want several PDF output files from
> one and the same .ly file).

i'm generating 5 pdf files (score & parts) from the same source, so
that's not quite an option...

> For the page breaks, the solution outlined in
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-06/msg00049.html
> with followups. I think that the solution to the final email in the thread
> is to remove the \book in the included file.

ok, i managed to work out how to trick \layout { breakbefore } by
defining a scheme variable to either true or false in the skeleton
files and that works fine.

now i have the problem that for the a5 landscape version i'm seriously
squashing some layout with \context {\Score  \override
NonMusicalPaperColumn #'line-break-system-details} -- i don't want
this squashing in the a4 portrait mode though.

i've tried some weird and wonderful scheme hacks (creating a list
based on whether the breakafive variable is set or not and passing
that to break-system-details, but guile complains). so, basically i'm
stuck. which means i need to create different input files which differ
in 1 line for the a5 landscape format (with ~1700 lines of lily input
just for the layout, i don't want to do this, so the lines get
uncommented or commented out, depending on what i'm generating, but
this is not satisfactory... :/)

any ideas? thanks for your input,
sb
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.