Re: Lyrics: many syllables -> one note?

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Lyrics: many syllables -> one note?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 22:30:51 -0800

Hi

After a preliminary fix for my problem with lyrics chanted to a single note (thank you, Mats and Arthur), and some extremely determined messing around, I have discovered:

\version "2.6.0"
\relative c'' {\key f \major \set Score.timing = ##f
c1 f,4 bes a \bar "|" g e f8 e f1}
\addlyrics {\once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-1 "All these words are placed properly under one note," while these ones are set nor -- mal -- ly. }

Placing the prefix \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-1
before a lyric word causes Lilypond to left-align that lyric with its note. Change the #-1 to a #1 and it will be right-aligned; use #0 for centred (which is the default). #-0.8 is most of the way to being left-aligned, etc. Hope this helps someone.

David