Re: Can an identifier contain a \score?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Can an identifier contain a \score?
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:01:12 -0500

On Sunday 06 November 2005 05:47 pm, Mark Cookson wrote:
> I'm going to use Lilypond to write out some scales for my students,
and I'd
> like to define each scale as an identifier, so that I can then simply
> \include a file full of scale definitions and type the name of each
scale I
> want to write out for a particular student.
>
> When I do it this way...
>
> cmajoroneoctave = {
> \new Staff << \relative c' {
> \override Staff.TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t \cadenzaOn c8[ d e
f] g[ a
> b c] b[ a g f] e[ d] c4 \cadenzaOff \bar "||"
> }
> >> }
>
> \book { \header {\title = "Grade 5 Scales"}
> \score {
> \cmajoroneoctave}
> }
>

> ...things work fine, but what I'd really like to do is to make the
\score
> block part of the \cmajoroneoctave identifier, so that the \book block
can
> just contain a list of scale names.
>
> However, I can't seem to get anything along these lines...
>
> cmajoroneoctave = { \score {
> \new Staff << \relative c' {
> \override Staff.TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t \cadenzaOn c8[ d e
f] g[ a
> b c] b[ a g f] e[ d] c4 \cadenzaOff \bar "||"
> }
> }
> >> }
>
> \book { \header {\title = "Grade 5 Scales"}
> \cmajoroneoctave
> }
>
> ...to work.
> Am I just using the wrong syntax, or is this not possible?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Mark

Meanwhile, why not do this by selective removal of comments? daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
"Dynamic Guitar Technique".  Nothing else is close.

          http://www.openguitar.com/instruction.html

To write to me privately please include my full name, David Raleigh
Arnold, in the "To" or "CC" field along with the address, and do not
send html.  dra..at..openguitar.com darnold4..at..cox.net