Re: what is wrong with this \markup /padding?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: what is wrong with this \markup /padding?
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 12:59:10 +0100

In your original question, you didn't really say what you wanted to achieve
and you didn't include any complete example. A \markup{...} is used just
like any text string and within a score, you either have to attach it to a note
like
b4^\markup{\italic Moderato }
or if you want it right at the top of the piece or over a bar line, use
\mark \markup{\italic Moderato }

Read about Text Scripts and Text Marks in the manual for more information
on these two options. Also, note that if you want to override the padding
property, you need different commands for these two options, since different
layout objects are used.

s1 itself is a spacing note (i.e. an invisible note), so you definitely don't
want to add it in a voice of music. Spacing notes are sometimes used
in some parallel voice, for example to be able to put a text script or a dynamic
indication or whatever at a place where you don't have any note starting.

In the example you sent earlier today, my guess is that you really want something
like

\tempo 4=80
\time 3/4
\once \override TextScript #'staff-padding = #4.0

b4^\markup{ Pelleagato }^\markup{ \italic Andantino } \mf c d

or combining both into a single two-line markup

\tempo 4=80
\time 3/4
b4^\markup{ \column {\italic Moderato Pelleagato }} \mf c d

or using \mark (changing the alignment from default center to left)

\tempo 4=80
\time 3/4
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #4.0
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
\mark \markup{ \column {\italic Moderato Pelleagato }}

b4 \mf c d |

In the first of these three examples, I didn't use padding but staff-padding,
since otherwise you get a very wide spacing also between the two markups
(try it yourself, to see what I mean).

Regarding the tremolo, the number after the : should indicate the
duration of each subdivision. I don't know the standard notation for
guitar music, but on most other instruments you use 3 beams to indicate
tremolo, i.e. b8:32

  /Mats

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

This sort of worked, whereas the other two suggestions did not work at all. However what it did not do was raise the word 'Moderato' above the tempo marking the word Pelleagato appears next to the tempo marking which would be sufficient/acceptable except I still don't know what is going on. My guess is that s1^ is doing something even though it's doing something different in each case- which means that I don't know what/why. I suspect that Han-Wen did answer thoroughly but I accidently deleted that response.
I apologize.
Jay

Martial wrote:

\once \override TextScript #'padding = 2.0
\markup{ \italic Moderato }

test this :

{
\once \override TextScript #'padding = #2.0
s1^\markup{ \italic Moderato }
s1^\markup{ Pelleagato }

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing