Re: What's the least input into a score to get midi output added?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: What's the least input into a score to get midi output added?
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:40:00 -0700

On 27-Jul-05, at 6:23 PM, Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

When I copy and paste from the first template example and then copy and paste my chosen notes I get

error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
\new Staff
          \melody

Please copy the entire example.

When I delete those parts I get

Don't just randomly delete parts! If one of the example templates doesn't work as you expect, then there's a big problem. Investigate why it doesn't work -- is it a lilypond bug, or are you mistaken about how lilypond works, or did you forget to copy something,
or...?

So the example template in this instance does not seem to work at I expect. Which is why I asked- what's the minimum?

The minimum is simply
\midi{}

Please look carefully at a few of the example templates; I think it would help you
to understand how lilypond input files are constructed.

- Graham