Re: Instrument Name Spacing

From: dax2
Subject: Re: Instrument Name Spacing
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:44:15 +0200

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:05:13 +0200
Han-Wen wrote:

> 2.7.2 will have a \paper variable horizontaloffset, which shifts the
> music to the right, making place for the instrument names. As it
> happens, I had need for this myself just tonight.
>
> Alternative: you can try
>
>   \paper {
>     linewidth = ..shorter length..
>   }

I haven't yet tried the 2.7.2  horizontal_offset :-))

Linewidth and text caught my attention:-)

Linewidth seems to be measured in staff-line distances.

\paper is pre-2.5.x (ie. old) syntax, as far as my old 2.5.23 tells me.

I cannot get something like

  \set Staff.instrument = "Violoncello-baroque-longissimo"

to print at all with 2.5.23. It prints with 2.4.5 but the length
of lines are cut on the right margin, and the long-long-name is
still cut on the left side.

Instrument name is based on

  \set Staff.instrument = "literal-string"

 - never mind for that now I will dig into it.

Besides that I cannot get middle bar lines to fluctuate just a
little in examples based on the \repeat from Bryan Stanbridge,
using \break in a \repeat probably is the villain.

 - but never mind for now, I will have to dig more into that,
I have especially "researched" into initial line spacings, which
are far from "easy", if one don't know how to add extra spacing.

That is why linewidth caugth attention.

(I have not put any examples on my server yet).

Normally one needs character(tempo), metronome, instrument,
dynamics, pedal, etc, and the initial spacing will not work
without some adjustment.

But then! When the template is in place, the result is super-nice!

Thanks for such fine tools and devotion!

--
dax2-tele2adsl:dk -- http://d-axel.dk/pub/music  Donald Axel