Re: pdf files

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: pdf files
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 01:50:44 -0700

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

Paul Scott writes:

After dealing with the ancient DOS shell (command line) here it is.

Thanks.

This also brings up another point that I have seen briefly mentioned
either here or on the devel list.  Is there a problem with setting the
environment variables so that LilyPond.exe can be found while working
in another directory?

Not that I know of.  What problem are you referring to?
Many installation programs modify autoexec.bat (or maybe autoexec.nt for W2K or WXP) to set the paths to the executables. This might have helped the problem I discovered below as the next step.

Invoking `gs    -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200
-sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#"simple.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f "simple.ps"'...

Ok, now please try running the gs command manually, first setting the
appropriate env vars (set LILYPOND_VERBOSE=1 to see the values that lp uses)

set GS_LIB=C:/PROGRA~1/LILYPOND/USR/share/ghostscript/fonts  # ? check
set GS_FONTHPATH=C:/WINDOWS/FONTS

gs    -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200  -sDEVICE#pdfwrite
-sOutputFile#"simple.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f "simple.ps"
I had to prepend the path to "gs" above. Since it's not in the current directory it doesn't get found. Then I get:

GPL Ghostscript 8.15: Can't find initialization file gs_init.ps

Paul