scale degree numbers

From: Kris Shaffer
Subject: scale degree numbers
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:24:56 -0500

I'm trying to markup notes with scale degree symbols (i.e. an Arabic
numeral with a carat directly above it).  I figure I can use \markup
and \column and then adjust the spacing.  However, I cannot find how
to produce the "^" symbol in the markup.  I've tried escaping with

c1^\markup { \column < \^ 5 > }

which does not work, and cannot find any documentation explaning how
to use the carat in markup.  Any help would be appreciated.  I use
Lilypond 2.2.5 on Mac OS 10.3.8.  Thanks.

Kris