Re: lay out

From: Aaron Mehl
Subject: Re: lay out
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:08:12 -0700 (PDT)

continued from preious email that yahoo sent
accidently before I finished :(

> If a structural wish list was allowed however here
> is
> what I would want.
>
> 1. A real separation of content and formatting.
       This means that a lilypond file would have no
formatting in it at all. A seperate style sheet would
be the place for this. The advantage is that if you
have style tweaks for multiple docs only one file is
needed to apply these tweaks to all files. This might
require the addition of attributes to permit lower
level styles in and external file...

2. A fixed and clearly defined structure which takes
into account the possible structural pieces that
different scores can contain.

\piece
\movement
\phrase
\motiv
\chorus
etc.

This I know is a fundamental change in the structure
of  lilypond and possibly(probably) hard to impose on
the already existing structure.

Truthfully \score etc doesn't say much about the
structure of a composition but are rather containers
for data types to be parsed.

This thread was started to understand and I hope
document the file structure.

I would like to see actually a diagram of how and in
what order each block ("container of data") is parsed
in lilypond as well as what block is processed first
second etc.

Aaron
(