layout question

From: Michiel Lange
Subject: layout question
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 08:11:35 +0200

Hello list,

I have this piece that starts out with a combined Soprano and Alto and separate Piano system. After measure 14 there is a Tenor + Bass system added. After measure 36 the Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass staves are exploded to 4 systems.

The numbers are not very important, but it's easier talking...

At the first page I get 3 lines, page 2 starts with measure 14 and also has 3 lines. At page 3 measure 26 starts, but only has 2 lines, and looks pretty weird in it's layout. The first line is completely at the top, the second at the bottom, giving the page a very empty look in the middle.

On page 4 measure 36 starts and those are the last two lines. They do fill up the page neatly.

An overall look of the music:
- page 1 looks widely spaced, but not ugly
- page 2 looks decently filled, neat and good.
- page 3 looks empty
- page 4 looks good again, except for a minor oddity in the lyrics which I should look at some time...

I could live with some clear space between the lines, but I would think that such a thing should be more consequent among the pages.

It is engraved with Lilypond 2.4.5
I have the piece available for display at:
http://minas-2.demon.nl/~michiel/muziek/blessyou.ly
http://minas-2.demon.nl/~michiel/muziek/blessyou.pdf

If you have some suggestions on how to make the piece really good-looking I would be very glad!

TIA,
Michiel