RE: Distance between staves

From: Fairchild
Subject: RE: Distance between staves
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:30:08 -0500

Try experimenting with this structure, which works in v 2.4.3, somewhat
unpredictably:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                \paper {
betweensystempadding = -.10\in
betweensystemspace   = 0.30\in
                }%end paper
                \score {
        \layout {
\context { \Staff minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-5.0 . +5.0) }
        }%end layout
 . . . .
                }%end score
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I've found that absolute minimumVerticalExtent line values less than 5 don't
make the spacing any smaller.  However, the -.10 makes the 0.30 enter the
equation.  The way I use it is to:
 1) leave out the minimumVerticalExtent line,
 2) set betweensystempadding to a negative number on the range -0.9 to -0.1,
 3) adjust betweensystemspace until the staff spacing is slightly too small,
then
 4) set minimumVerticalExtent values to 5's through 10's to enlarge the
spacing to suit.

Don't really know why this works.

                                   - Bruce