Re: Space after clef

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Space after clef
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:19:54 +0200

Fairchild wrote:
Thanks Mats.

I spent hours trying to find this, stumbled on it, but didn't know how to
use it.  I expected to find something equivalent to \hspace in \markup.
Often I want to add or subtract a little space among the notes.  Feature
request?

What's the logical process I should have followed to find this information?

Is there a place - a glossary - that explains the terms?

You mean 'ambitus', 'staff-bar' and so on? They are defined by the
property 'break-align-symbol' for the respective layout objects.
For example, the 'break-align-symbol' property for the object Ambitus
is 'ambitus'. See also the second link I provided in the previous
answer.

Is there a source for the syntax you provided?

The value is a Scheme list. However, if you just look at a few examples,
it's easy to grasp the pattern.

Is it necessary to include the whole list?

I just copied the default value of the list and changed the
spacing to next-note. The list covers a number of cases that
often appear in normal score, i.e. that a clef is follow by a
key signature or a time signature or a bar line or ...
Of course, if you know that one of these cases never will happen
in your score, then there's no need to include it.

Using the alist (What's an alist?) as you suggested, interspersed comment
lines are not accepted.  Bug?

'alist' is short for association list, which is a common concept in
LISP related languages like Scheme. For comments, just use the
comment syntax of Scheme, i.e.

\override Staff.Clef #'space-alist = #'(
        ; Copy of the default values:
        (ambitus extra-space . 2.0)
        (staff-bar extra-space . 0.7)
        (key-cancellation minimum-space . 4.0)
        (key-signature minimum-space . 4.0)
        (time-signature minimum-space . 4.2)
        (first-note minimum-fixed-space . 5.0)
        ; Changed the default value 0.5 to 1.5:
        (next-note extra-space . 1.5)
        (right-edge extra-space . 0.5))

See the Scheme tutorial in the manual with its link to other Scheme
documention for more information.

   /Mats

                                       - Bruce