combining \addlyrics and polyphony (lilypond 2.4.5)

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: combining \addlyrics and polyphony (lilypond 2.4.5)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 17:07:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, I just started playing with Lilypond today (version 2.4.5, on
Debian/x86), and was following nicely along the tutorial.  However, I ran
into a snag when I tried to combine both lyrics and polyphony... once I
specified polyphony with the "\\" operator as described in the tutorial,
\addlyrics gave an error "cannot find Voice `uniqueContext0'"...
obviously, I need to name and specify the voice that the lyrics go with
somehow, but I couldn't find an explanation of this in the manual (I
found the whole bit about Voices and Contexts a bit unclear).

The following is a simple example that illustrates my trouble:

\relative <<
    \new Staff {
        <<
            { \tiny c'4 b c d e d c } \\
            { e,4 d c d e e e2 }

    }
    \addlyrics {
        Ma -- ry had a lit -- tle lamb
    }

This works fine without the "\\", except that then \tiny is applied to
both voices, where I want it only applied to the upper voice (this is a
common notation for descant parts).

I'm guessing there's a one- or two-line fix, so if someone could point it
out I'd appreciate it (or the relevant web page...google turned up a lot
of stuff for earlier versions of LilyPond, which seem to have a somewhat
different syntax?).

Thanks,
Steven G. Johnson