Re: Notes in Key Sig

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: Re: Notes in Key Sig
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:13:49 +0100

I think one of the nice things about lilypond is that it allows you to
separate data from presentation. For instance the third note of your
example is C sharp. This is normally represented by cis' in a lilypond
score i.e. as data representing a particular note. How it appears in the
final printed score depends on lots of things: key signature, what notes
precede it in the bar, whether or not it is the only part on the stave,
policy on cautionary accidentals etc.. any of which I can change
independently. Suppose you wished to incorporate your example into a
larger work in b flat minor, but did not wish to change the key
signature for a few bars, then you would have to edit the c' to make it
cis'. In the end the standard lilypond representation leads to less
problems and it can't be that difficult for a musician.

/Bernard