Re: New glyph, language.ly (from: notation for pitch bends and drops)

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: New glyph, language.ly (from: notation for pitch bends and drops)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:04:20 -0500

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 04:21 pm, Benjamin Esham wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2005, at 11:43 AM, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> > Is there any objection to my having my own language.ly?  [...] I
> > don't like to hack like that without permission, especially if I'm
> > the only one doing the thing in question.
>
> Go right ahead-- there's nothing stopping you from doing whatever you
> want
> with LilyPond.  The only potential issue is that if you distribute
> your .ly files, you'll have to either change them to one of the
> standard language formats or include your own along with the file.

That's easy.  We'll see.

> > After all, a flat *is* a letter "b".
>
> Er... a flat *looks* like a letter "b".  Otherwise, they are not
> related at all.

Historically, it is a letter "b".  It is not a coincidence that the
first flat is "b".  The "G" clef is a lower case letter "G", the "F"
clef is a letter "F", and the Gutenburg quarter rest is a letter "R".
They are all derived from blackletter typefaces and hand
lettering in blackletter/batarde.  daveA

--
The only technical exercises for guitar which are worthy of the
instrument consist in "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  I promise miracles.