Re: simple install question perhaps?

From: dax2
Subject: Re: simple install question perhaps?
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:45:18 +0100

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:52:23 -0500
Josh wrote:

> My lilypad installation seems to have went well, went with the
> binary (stable) v.2.2.5 for Mac OSX 10.3.6,  hope that's
> correct. got various confirmations in the FINK commander:
>
> @@@
> @@@ Installation Complete.
> @@@
> @@@ Start a NEW shell to get the correct lilypond environment
> settings.@@@
> * GNU LilyPond: (lilypond).
>       The GNU music typesetter.
>       install-info(/sw/share/info/lilypond.info): creating new section
> `GNU music project'
> * GNU LilyPond program-reference: (lilypond-internals). LilyPond
>       program-reference.
> * Glossary: (lilypond/music-glossary). Glossary of music terms.

Your question:

> I'm an absolute UNIX newbie,
> wasn't sure how to start a new shell to set the environment as
> above, couldn't find the info on that

To start a new shell means to start a new environment:

Close your command line window
Or better for a newbie: log-out completely
And then login again

And then try it out again.

The installation on MacOSX (which I know only from hearsay)
adds a configuration to the start-up-scripts for your windows
environment and your shell.

A shell is a command-interpreter.

Setup of X11/Apple Windows and shells can be done in many ways.
This is the simple approach.

Regards/Donald Axel

--
dax2-tele2adsl:dk -- http://d-axel.dk/  Donald Axel