Re:Importing into Finale

From: Joshua Koo
Subject: Re:Importing into Finale
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:47:27 +0800

Hi,

Here's how I attempted to convert finale files to lilypond files after little
success with etf2ly.

First I got the dotlet plugin for Finale which produces MusicXML output. You
can get it here http://www.recordare.com/finale/

Then I used the xml2ly converter by Guido Amoruso.
http://ftp.gnu.org/savannah/files/xml2ly/
I've just found a new converter at http://musicxml2ly.sarovar.org/ but I havnt
tried it yet.

Then do cleaning of the lilypond output. The results be quite good for simple
music.

Actually I did most of the editing in jedit with the lilypondtool, starting
with running the xml2ly converter.
Then using the search and replace tool you can do lots of corrections for some
of the messy xml2ly output
eg. remove extras \set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 2 8 ) ,
"\n{2,}% Bar" with " |\n% " (turn on the regular expression for this)
so on..
Then I hightlighted the section of notes, and run the absolute to relative
notes converter.

I'm not sure if the features I mention is in the latest stable release of
lilytool, but you might like to try :)

Hope this helps.

Joshua Koo