Re: what issues should I consider in publishing transcriptions?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: what issues should I consider in publishing transcriptions?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:27:39 +0100

There have been some discussions on copyright issues at the Mutopia
mailing list, address@hidden Check the mailing
list archives at
http://lists.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mutopia-discuss

In most countries, music is subject to copyright until 70 years after
the death of the composer (or arranger or editor who did any significant
additions). Until then, you need permission from the copyright holder to
do arrangements or publish the music.

   /Mats

Chip wrote:
I have about 70 transcriptions I and a band-mate have done of Mexican music, in the Cumbia, Banda, Ranchera, Zapatiado, Quebradita styles. What issues should I consider if I were to pursue selling these transcriptions? I was thinking via the web and maybe a 'fake' book, or both. What are the legal considerations? These are our own transcriptions/arrangements, taken from recordings. I have used Lilypond for typesetting all my parts, my friend has used a windoze based app for his. I would take his and typeset them in Lily for the 'official' releases. I have seen some people mention their own publishing of works done in Lilypond.
Thanks for any/all input,
Chip

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing