Re: compiling ec-fonts-mftraced

From: Daniel Johnson
Subject: Re: compiling ec-fonts-mftraced
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:45:08 -0800

Hello all,

I too am a Gentoo user, currently using Lilypond 2.5.2. I had no trouble building ec-fonts-mftraced, but I was unable to build the Lilypond documentation. Both these problems are already entered into Gentoo's bugzilla but no new activity has been entered on the bug in a while.

I did a writeup in the Gentoo forums on how to get 2.4.2 working, written before there was an official Gentoo ebuild for any version higher than 2.2.6:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=256926

This resulted in a fully functional Lilypond installation. Unfortunately since I upgraded to the Gentoo ebuild of 2.5.2 I have been unable to get the documentation installed (though the rest builds OK). I eventually resorted to using an RPM of the documentation. I would guess that there is an unlisted dependency that is going unsatisfied.

Here is what the 2.5.2 Gentoo ebuild lists as dependencies for both the ec-fonts-mftraced and lilypond packages (including the documentation option):
- guile 1.6.4
- ghostscript (no version given)
- tetex (no version given)
- python 2.2.3-r1
- t1utils 1.32
- perl 5.8.0-r12
- texinfo 4.6
- flex 2.5.4a-r5
- gcc 3.1-r8
- make 3.80
- mftrace 1.0.27
- bison (any version except 1.75)
- imagemagick (no version given) -- only needed for building documentation
- netpbm 9.12-r4 -- only needed for building documentation
- potrace 1.5

I am guessing that the problem resides in one of the non-versioned dependencies listed. I just upgraded imagemagick to latest and will try building again. Since the build process fails only when building the documentation, it makes sense that the failing dependency might be one of the documentation-only dependencies.

By the way, on Gentoo, if you have emerged Lilypond, you have automatically emerged tetex. The only way you could be missing tetex is if you un-merged it after emerging Lilypond.

--Daniel

Marcus Macauley wrote:

Hi Scott/others,

I am having the same problem. I'm running the latest version of Gentoo
(2004.3-r1, kernel 2.6.9), and have tried compiling each version of
ec-fonts-mtraced, using "make" or "make all install", and it generates
the same error every time (as Scott copied below).

Actually, I thought I had tetex installed, but I just now noticed that I
don't. So maybe that's the problem? I'll try compiling ec-fonts-mftraced
again after installing tetex, and report what happens.

FWIW, I "emerged" (installed from source with Gentoo) Lilypond, which
happens to be version 2.0.3 (which I think doesn't require
ec-fonts.mftraced).

Marcus

Scott wrote:
-------
Hi All,

I am trying to compile ec-fonts-mftraced-1.0.8, and am getting the
following error:

Tracing bitmaps... Invoking `gf2pbm -n 0 -o char.pbm ecbx10.7227gf'

Opening pipe  `gf2pbm -n 0 -s ecbx10.7227gf'
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/mftrace", line 1184, in ?
   trace_font (basename, gf_fontname, metric, glyph_range, encoding,
magnification)
 File "/usr/bin/mftrace", line 636, in trace_font
   success = trace_one ("char.pbm", '(null)--1216699596' %
(gf_fontname, a))
 File "/usr/bin/mftrace", line 355, in trace_one
   status = system (trace_command (pbmfile, ''), 1)
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
make: *** [pfa/ecbx10.pfa] Error 1

Could anyone help me out?

Also, I am experiencing alot of:

/var/cache/fonts/ls-R: Permission denied

errors.  Has anyone successfully compiled ec-fonts-mftraced-1.0.8,
perhaps even on a gentoo box?  Thanks for any assistance.

Best,
Scott