Re: Spacing Dynamics

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: Spacing Dynamics
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:51:28 +0200

Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:

> What version of LilyPond do you use (always tell, when you send questions
> to the mailing list)?
>
> If the forte and the crescendo overlap, I would consider it a bug.

At least in 1.6, 2.0 and 2.2.1, those being the versions I've used the
most, as far as I can recall dynamics and other textual markup have a
tendency to overlap[1]; I'm not sure about textual crescendi, though.

I usually do something along the lines of[2]

    \dynamicUp
    c4\f-\markup{ }-\markup{ }-\markup{fubar}

...to avoid the collision.  But it's an ugly hack.

(I haven't cc-ed bug-lilypond, because I don't read that list and I
don't have and actual, minimal example right now.)

[1] assuming dynamics and text markup have the same default direction,
e.g. up, but in vocal scores this is almost without exception the
case.  As I exclusively edit vocal scores, this bug bites me all the
time.  In most instrumental music I guess dynamics will go down while
other textual markup will go up, so that no conflict appears there.
[2] I'm not near a recent lilypond installation right now, so consider
this pseudocode
--

Arvid