Re: Methods of working

From: John Williams
Subject: Re: Methods of working
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:45:40 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Ralph Little writes:
>
> > With a lot of files related to notes files etc, I have started using
> > Makefiles to automate the build process, being a die-hard UNIX
> > programmer ;)

I did something like this.  My motivation was that I didn't want to
maintain separate score.ly, partA.ly, partB.ly, ad infinitum, when they
were all practically identical, except for including different
combinations of violin.ly, viola.ly, etc.  And I would prefer to have one
file where I could apply \score and \paper tweaks, instead of six.

So I put special comments around each part, and "make partA" would create
the the partA.ly from score.ly by eliminating all the other parts.
(I used a quick&dirty sed command to do it, by cpp would be more robust.)
I also had "make score", "make parts", and "make all".

If you really want the nitty-gritty details, check out Vivaldi's The
Seasons on Mutopia.

> Any big reason not to use/extend/send bug reports on the for this
> purpose included .../lilypond-xyz/share/make/ly.make Makefile?

I was under the impression that the idea of #ifdef style conditionals had
already been rejected multiple times.  That was circa 1.6, before the \tag
command, which I confess I still haven't tried.  Is there a way to filter
tags from the lilypond command line?

~ John Williams