Re: non-relative relative mode?

From: GoochRules!
Subject: Re: non-relative relative mode?
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:51:26 -0700

On Feb 26, 2004, at 7:54 AM, Erik Sandberg wrote:

On Thursday 26 February 2004 11.29, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
I assume that you mean \transpose and nothing else.

oops... right... I need to stop doing things at 2am (which perhaps explains my other problems...)

Of course, this is one good approach to avoid having to
type all the ' and ,. However, I still recommend you to
give the \relative another try. I think most people on this
list agree that it's very convenient once you get used to it.
The basic idea is very simple, as long as the melody only
includes intervals that are not larger than a fourth, you don't
need any ' or ,. For all larger intervals, you add 's or ,s to
get to the correct octave.

I can however imagine that some things can be simpler to typeset with absolute mode, e.g. if there is a lot of chords and not so much melodic lines. This
can be the case in some piano music.

This is EXACTLY what I'm doing. For some reason I have decided to write all chords top-note down. On my first try in relative mode I found my subsequent chords leaping off the staff -- each successive chord would begin about two octaves above the previous, and the notes within the chord where not in the octaves I had expected. \transpose does exactly what I wish to happen, and so for the moment since it seems to be a perfectly sensible thing to do i'll stick with it.

--MP