Re: Page margins

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Page margins
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:19:16 +0100

Thomas Scharkowski wrote:
Hi, I would like to reduce the (top and/or bottom) margins of the page (a4).
"textheight" does not work. Could someone lead me to a solution?

You are right! It used to work, but after a recent modification of
the lilypond script, both the top and bottom margins are hard coded
so setting textheight no longer has an effect (for the record, the
margin settings win over the textheight settings in the geometry
package works when the dimensions are overspecified).

I'll think about a solution to make it possible to change the settings
from within the .ly file. In the mean time, you could use one of the
following two workarounds:

Alternative 1:
- Run 'lilypond -k myfile.ly',
- edit the generated file lilypond.dir/myfile.latex and change the
  values in the assignments bottom=11mm and top=12mm
- Run:
  - cd lilypond.dir
  - latex myfile.latex
  - dvips -Ppdf -u+lilypond myfile
  - ps2pdf myfile.ps
(The last two steps are only needed if you want a PS and/or PDF version.)

Alternative 2:
- Write your own wrapper file using lilypond-book. I have attached
  a short example that you could have as a starting point, you have
  to replace the filename in the \lilypondfile{...} directive.
- Run:
  - lilypond-book myfile.lytex
  - latex myfile.latex
  - dvips -Ppdf -u+lilypond myfile
  - ps2pdf myfile.ps

   /Mats
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% myfile.lytex
%
% LaTeX wrapper file for use with lilypond-book
%
\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{a4paper,width=190mm,height=27.5cm,verbose}

\input{titledefs}
\def\mustmakelilypondtitle{}

\begin{document}

\lilypondfile{myfile.ly}