Re: multi-measure rest without a number?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: multi-measure rest without a number?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:42:33 +0100

You can find an example of this at the end of
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Multi-measure-rests.html#Multi%20measure%20rests
(note that you have to specify _\markup{...} or ^\markup{...} depending
on if you want the text above or below the stave (note also the
backslash, you wrote an ordinary slash below).

Are you really sure you want the text in the middle of the stave,
I think that would be make it very hard to read? There are tricks in
LilyPond to move things around as you wish, but there's no automatic
support for typesetting something that unreadable :-).

   /Mats

chip wrote:
I would like to be able to create a multi-measure rest and mark it as Free Time, no number of measures, preferably putting the text in the middle of the staff, not above or below it. I don't see this in the manual, and tried to put text above/below the staff of a regular multi-measure rest but it results in an error about lyric mode. I tried this -
\property Score.skipBars = ##t R1*2/markup { Free Time }
(also with a space before the /).
Anyway to do either the of the above (text inside the non-numbered multi-measure rest or attaching text to the multi-measure rest)?
--
Chip

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing