HaraKiriStaffContext for French? style orchestral parts

From: Paul Scott
Subject: HaraKiriStaffContext for French? style orchestral parts
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:45:06 -0700

I have been using HaraKiriStaffContext to write ensemble parts in the multiple staff practice of many French composers quite sucessfully except for the following problem: If both of the similar instruments on this part have long rests where other instruments in the ensemble may have notes the rests are removed by the HaraKiriStaffContext translator as is intended. How else do others solve this problem? My thought would be that HaraKiriStaffContext produce a single line with the rests as a part would actually be done in practice.

In the example below run with either 1.6.6 or 1.7.16 the last 16 bars of rests disappear (except for a bar number):

Any thoughts, ideas?

TIA,

Paul Scott

\paper{ papersize = "letter" }
\include "paper20.ly"

global = {
   \time 4/4 \skip 1*4
   \time 3/4 \skip 4*3*4 \break
   \time 4/4 \skip 1*16 \bar "|." }
cli    = \notes { a'1 b' c'' d'' R2.*4 R1*16 }
clii   = \notes { f'1 g' a'  b'  R2.*4 R1*16 }
\paper {
   \translator { \HaraKiriStaffContext }
}
\score {