Re: Debian packages

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Debian packages
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:15:15 +0000

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 08:29 pm, you wrote:

>     David> Right now, there are no usable Debian binaries of
> lilypond, David> because tetex is broken in both stable and
> testing...
>
>     David> Or have I missed something?  DaveA
>
> I've been running 1.6 on stable (Woody), and switching back to 1.4
> for things that haven't yet been converted to 1.6.  (No, it isn't as
> simple as running convert-ly.)  In both cases, they're unmodified
> packages.  1.6 is what apt-get gets me, with the line:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.lilypond.org/pub/LilyPond/binaries/debian woody .

It sure is there now.  I don't know why it didn't work for me.  Last
time I looked before, I only found a link to debian.org.

> and I downloaded the 1.4 and leave it around so that I can install it
> with dpkg.
>
> I run the Woody tetex for lots of non-lilypond stuff.  I'm not saying
> there are no bugs, but I certainly wouldn't say an unqualified
> "broken", and I can't think of any problems as bad as some of the
> more notorious Redhat or Mandrake ones.
>
> Are your problems with 1.7?

You have no problem because you upgraded.  If you attempted to
install tetex woody or sarge now without retaining your config.ps file,
you would find that there was none in the package and it would not
install.  And there isn't going to be one, either, until 2.0.  If one
can't install a new stable distribution of it, it's broken to me.

The cause of my trouble was an attempt to downgrade from
testing to stable.  That's a one-way trip, the other way.

I guess the easiest thing would be to install an archived version
of tetex and then upgrade it, if possible.  It's still not pretty.  If
you would email me a config.ps and texmf.cfg I would post them
on my website?  Or perhaps they are out there somewhere?
(Those may be the only missing files.)

Thanks!  DaveA

--
"Melody is the gift of God."