MusicXML to Lilypond converter

From: Guido Amoruso
Subject: MusicXML to Lilypond converter
Date: 18 Jan 2003 14:52:02 +0100

Hi,

I'd like to tell you that I'm working on a MusicXML to Lilypond
converter: it is a set of XSLT stylesheets, so you need an XSLT
processor in order to use it. It's name is very original...xml2ly :-)
MusicXML is an XML language to describe music: it is not the only
existing XML dialect for music, but its aim is to become The Intarchange
format for music notation applications. At present it has these
features:
- it has already a wide commercial support (Finale, Igor, SharpEye...)
- it is proprietary :-( Anyway, it has a public license and the company
that is defining it (Recordare) has expressed the willing to make it an
Oasis standard: I hope this is a real intantion!

Maybe this is not the best place to speak about such topics, but I find
that goal very valuable also for Free Software. We could have one mean
to exchange musical information in a free and reliable way.

My converter is at http://www.nongnu.org/xml2ly/, I'll be glad if you
send me suggestions, opinions and problems. At present it works rather
well: I'm testing it with MusicXML files from Project Gutemberg Music
(http://www.ibiblio.org/gutenberg/music/) and with Recordare's samples
at http://musicxml.org/xml/samples.html. In the short terms you can use
it to convert SharpEye'scannings and Finale or Musedata files (if you
have Dolet converter or a recent version of Finale, I think). I hope it
can be someway useful to Mutopiaproject!

I have decided to tag it with low numbers (0.0.xx) because of two
reasons:
- it is one of my very first programs
- I consider it a sort of prototype. As I said it is written in XSLT and
sure that is not the best way to do that (I'm thinking about something
like Python and Dom), but I wanted an easy way to start and to try
whether it was possible to make it work

Best Regards,
--
Guido Amoruso <address@hidden>