Re: transposition, incipit and key signature

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: transposition, incipit and key signature
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:02:02 +0000

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:55:29 Rune Zedeler wrote:
> Quoting David Raleigh Arnold <address@hidden>:
>
> > >     Rune> \version "1.6.3"
> > >     Rune> \score {
> > >     Rune>      \notes \transpose c'' {
> > >     Rune>         \key f \major c4*1/2
> > >     Rune>         \once \property Staff.KeySignature = \turnOff \key c
> > > \major s8

> > >     Rune>      }
> > >     Rune> }
> > >
> > > Thanks, that works.
> >
> > It was inconsistent and possibly inconvenient
> > to have \transpose behave differently
> > from \clef.  Aren't the brackets gone, or
> > did I miss something?
>
> Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean.
> \transpose takes two arguments: the first argument is a pitch (where to
> transpose c'), and the 2nd argument is the music to be transposed.
> \clef only takes one argument: The name of the clef.
> What do you mean that their syntax should be the same?
>

> -Rune

I thought that had already been changed.  \transpose
should have one argument, just like \clef, to make
it simpler to use them together.  The two are
logically connected.  Many musicians transpose by
means of clefs.

Where are your \notes {brackets} ?  Should I stop
using them?  Is that what I'm missing here?

This is an
example from the online doc.  Why should \clef
and \transpose have different numbers of
arguments?

mus =\notes { \key d \major cis d fis g }
\score { \notes \context Staff {
  \clef "F" \mus
  \clef "G"
  \transpose g'' \mus
  \transpose f'' \mus
}}

I find it confusing to have \clef and \transpose
behave differently, that's all.

DaveA