Re: measure numbering problems

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: measure numbering problems
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:15:59 +0000

On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:30:00 Rune Zedeler wrote:
> Karl Berry wrote:
>
> > 1) there's a spurious measure number printed at the end of each line.
> >    For example, 6 on the first line, which repeats as the measure number
> >    at the beginning of the second line.  This is a printing problem
> >    only, not a numbering problem.
>
> This is because you have set the break-visibility to #all-visible.
> If you instead use #end-of-line-invisible then you get the desired result.
>
> > 2) the numbering is off from the beginning.  The measure labeled `2' is
> >    actually measure 3, and the real measure 2 is not numbered.
>
> No, this is not true. The 1st upbeat (the partial measure) should NOT
> get a bar-number. Numbering begins with the first whole measure which is
> what you see in your score.
> If you really need an alternative numbering then you could insert
> \property Score.currentBarNumber = #2
> in start of score.
>
> > 3) the last measure before the repeat is numbered 8.  Then the first
> >    (partial) measure after the repeat is not numbered (it should have
> >    been 9).  And then the first full measure after the repeat is again
> >    numbered 8 (it should be 10).  (Actually, all those numbers are off
> >    by 1 because of problem #2, but you get the idea, I hope.)
>
> Again, default notation would be not to give the partial measure a bar
> number so that the incomplete measure before the :|: and the partial
> measure after together form a complete measure.
> What you see now is wrong, though.

A partial or pickup does not rate even a 0, because there is no
such thing as a measure!

You really number bars, not measures.  A bar is something and a measure
is nothing, in the sense that a measure is not a symbol.  A bar is an
indication of a first beat.  A pickup-anacrusis-partial doesn't
start with a first beat.  No bar, no number.

It's ok to call measures bars, because a bar is something and a
measure isn't, but it has caused people to have to refer
to bars as barlines.

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden