Re: tab

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: tab
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:15:50 +0000

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:28:43 Rune Zedeler wrote:

> > Entering tab by using a 1 for the 6th string, 5 for
> > the 2nd string, etc., simply won't do.

> I don't know anything about string enumerations - but if David is right
> about this we should really change this NOW - before 1.6.1.
> Lamy...?

Thanks much.  The scholarly poster is right that there are
historical instances of putting the first string at the
bottom, but English renaissance lute tablature and all
modern tabs have the first string at the top so the
low notes will be on the bottom.  *No one alive* is really
used to the upside down systems.

Of course the lute isn't around much any more, largely
on account of tab.

Pitch wasn't the issue anyway, just the definition
of the first string, which doesn't vary for stringed
instruments, fretted or not.  Of course a left handed
player has his first string closest to his left hand
instead of his right, but it's still the 1st string.

And I really would like to know how to get rid of
the stems in the tab.
Having stems in both tab and notation is just clutter.
Tab is fingering, not notation, and nothing can change
that.

How about a short cut like this example for banjo?
Today the C or 4th string is usually tuned to a
D, and the "s" is for short string.  Or maybe
"x" or "e" for extra G would be better?  Naaah.

\defStrings d'=d b=b g=g d=c g'=s

or

\defStrings d'=d b=b g=g d=4 g'=5

which would set the note of each string, starting with
the first, to an identifier, which could perfectly well
be a number.  Six string guitar would be:

\defStrings e'=1 b=2 g=3 d=4 a,=5 e,=6

for those who would use the true pitch with "G_8".
I don't know whether you have taken into account the
fact that guitar transposes an octave, sorry, I've never
used \treble for guitar music.  Some people here
are typesetting with \treble and some with G_8.  I
would rather that a musician could tell what octave
music was in without having to know what the instrument
is, but I do not have history on my side, so I am
against the idea of making a choice for others. :-)

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden