Re: gsview32 not installed

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: gsview32 not installed
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:25:35 +0200

Patrice Mongeau <address@hidden> writes:

> I just installed lilypond on a Windows95 system.  I successfully ran the
> example until it created the files foo.ps and foo.dvi. But the deceptive
> triad has been to observe that gsview32 is not installed.

Until recently, a native Windows version of GSView was included in the
partial LilyPond mirror of Cygwin.  That has been dropped, but I've
only updated the documentation yesterday.

You may get gsview from http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost

If you install the Cygwin's XFree86 X11 window system, tetex-x11 and
ghostscript-x11 packages too, you can view the dvi output doing xdvi
test.dvi as you would do on unix.

> I'm a Unix programmer at the job.  I tried a little cygwin to see that
> some commands are there, but a lot not.  The installation of cygwin for
> lilypond may not include everything available on cygwin.

It certainly does not, but you can always add anything you like by
getting it from Cygwin.  It started out as a small, partial mirror of
Cygwin, but as more packages got included into Cygwin, it has grown a
lot.  It won't be long until the LilyPond mirror will be removed.

Jan.