Re: stacato

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: stacato
Date: 04 Oct 2001 16:02:11 -0400

    Mats> If you read the section on "Bar check", it says, among
    Mats> others:

    Mats> "Whenever a bar check is encountered during interpretation, a warning
    Mats> message is issued if it doesn't fall at a measure boundary.  This can
    Mats> help you find errors in the input.  Depending on the value of
    Mats> barCheckNoSynchronize, the beginning of the measure will be
    Mats> relocated, so this can also be used to shorten measures."

Yes, I had read that numerous times; it didn't imply to me that I
needed both \bar ".|" and |.  Maybe it needs an example.

    Mats> It's not clear to me, though if there's any advantage of the
    Mats> current behaviour where a bar check does not imply a \bar
    Mats> command. I cannot really think of some situation where you
    Mats> want to reset the start of the measure without adding a
    Mats> bar line, but probably there are some weird examples where
    Mats> that's actually what you want.

As long as \bar "empty" is a possible value of bar, I can't think of a
case either.  That is, I can think of a case where you would want to
restart the bar count without putting a visible bar (although that's
not the case for my incipits), but not of one where you wouldn't want
there to be a bar at all.

    Mats> In most cases, though, it would save some typing to revert
    Mats> to the old behaviour where you could insert a bar line by
    Mats> adding a |.

I would certainly think there should be some combination of options
where \bar "whatever" resets the bar count.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139