Re: Figured bass

From: Jérémie Lumbroso
Subject: Re: Figured bass
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:41:35 +0200

Hi Mats,

      The  way  I  feel  is  the  most  efficient  is to use
      fingerings.  You  can  easily stack any number ranging
      from 1 to 8, and the symbols will appear aligned.
        ex: g,_6_4_3

      Where  this  becomes  inconvenient is when you want to
      put  accidentals.  Or when you want to do figured-bass
      specific things (crossing numbers, adding movement...)
      To  put  accidentals,  the  definitions  is sufficient
      (thought  it  aught to all be groupped afterwards in a
      file  the  user  doesn't have to load himself (default
      lilypond).

      The  most  flexible  way  I've  found  for typesetting
      figured bass is your way : text markups. Though it's a
      lot of code for three numbers.
        ex:   7
              2
              3
            becomes : a_#'(finger (lines "7", "2", "3"))

              2
            becomes : d_#'(columns (lines ((font-relative-size . -2) ((raise .
0.35) (music "accidentals-1"))), " ") (finger (lines "5", "2")))

      The   symbols  are lacking, but it's a good base. What
      could   help  is  to  have  this  'thing'  calculated
      automatically.
        ex: a_bass(7,2,3)
            d_bass(5is, 2)

      Though the fingering font look the best to me for this
      kind  of  stuff  (small and bold), I can conceive that
      may not be suitable for two reasons :
         -  for  the reasons you specified (is that the font
         that have an ill suited layout?).
         - because it would be ugly to use the same font for
         fingering  and  figured  bass (though baroque music
         never  originally  have  the  fingerings,  so  this
         shouldn't be too much a problem).

--
Best regards,
 Jérémie                            mailto:address@hidden