Re: Fixing regressions and serious issues

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Fixing regressions and serious issues
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 14:46:13 +0200

On Fri, 2022-09-16 at 13:36 +0200, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
LilyPond development wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-09-14 at 22:35 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> > Le 14/09/2022 à 22:16, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
> > > On Wed, 2022-07-20 at 11:39 +0200, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
> > > LilyPond development wrote:
> > > What do we do about this one? Over the past couple of weeks, I tried
> > > quite a number of ideas, with no success so far.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for working on this even if it didn't succeed so far.
> >
> > Just in case for others: Jonas shared some details about what he tried
> > in https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/issues/454#issuecomment-1244375504
>
> I've tried some more and probably developed an understanding of what's
> happening - I will post on the upstream issue later. For our use case,
> however, we can "cheat" a bit because we statically link both bdwgc and
> libguile; https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1627
> should work around the crashes (at least they do for me in Wine).

Jean thankfully tested the binaries I produced with that change, and
they don't seem to completely break while fixing the crashes with the
originally reported scores. Note that there are apparently still
crashes with debugging scores that Jean produced, calling (gc) on every
translator slot...

With the fix of the user scores merged though, I've now started to
produce 2.23.13, I'll announce it once ready later today.

What are the updated feelings on the plan of branching next week? If we
agree to stick to that plan, I will bump master to 2.23.80 in
preparation of the first release candidate. If not, I'll go with
2.23.14 with the possibility that this version will never see the light
of the world...

Jonas