Re: snippet fails with 2.23.

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: snippet fails with 2.23.
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 22:37:44 +0200

Am Di., 17. Mai 2022 um 20:39 Uhr schrieb Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>:

> Le 16/05/2022 à 23:07, Thomas Morley a écrit :Well, I _am_ a LSR-editor.
> > Though, sometimes it feels I am the only one (not really true, Werner
> > does a lot but his focus is more on lsr-software and
> > snippets-descriptions).
> > We really need more active LSR-editors.
>

> This sounds like an advocacy problem, really. To give an outsider's
> point of view, until this message I had no idea who was behind
> the LSR approval process apart from you, and I wasn't aware that
> you wished help. I still only have a vague idea of what kind of
> work this entails. And I am following this list and the user list
> closely for two years or so. If more volunteers are needed, I recommend
> (1) documenting what work they should do and how, and (2) asking
> for volunteers on the user list.
>
> (Please note that I am not proposing myself, I'm already busy
> enough contributing to LilyPond.)
>
> Jean

Well, in the last about two (or three?) years, bugs in the
lsr-software accumulated and Sebastiano was not really reponsive.
Thus, there was not much what anyone could have done...

Otoh, I once started lsr-update to 2.20. and did what I could to
support both versions (2.18./2.20.). I was not able to finish it
because of said bugs, though it was a very good base to start the
2.22. update. At least so far as lsr-snippets are concerned.
Iirc, I did already the lsr-2.14-update. That lasted much longer ...
Anyway, this is _not_ the duty of an lsr-editor, but the lsr-updater.
But ofcourse an experienced lsr-editor has a better impression what
needs to be done on questionable snippets, thus the lsr-editor may
become the lsr-updater...

That said, the main duties of an lsr-editor are described in CG 7.3
Approving snippets
In the past we never had many lsr-editors, I could drop some names,
but they are mostly retired or hardly active nowadays.
Thus, yes we should ask on -user for volunteers, every experienced
user would be welcome.

Best,
  Harm