Re: balloonText and DoublePercentEngraver

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: balloonText and DoublePercentEngraver
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 13:26:57 +0000 (UTC)

>>> Well, it's not very logical, but not entirely illogical either.
>>> [...]
>>
>> I agree, but having a hint in the NR would be helpful.
>
> Feel free to add it.

Will do soon.

>>> This might eventually be a good solution.  For example, the only
>>> way I found to adjust the width of a double percent repeat was to
>>> use `\newSpacingSection` and adjusting the `spacing-increment`
>>> parameter.
>
> Not sure if we're on the same wavelength here.  You can already make
> the bars wider or, to a certain extent, shorter, by adjusting
> DoublePercentRepeat.extra-spacing-width.  That won't work for
> reducing spacing to less than a certain amount, but then just
> turning DoublePercentRepeat into a spanner wouldn't either (it would
> only provide minimum-length).

Ah, this was the property I couldn't find, thanks.  Of course, the NR
doesn't have a single example for it; I will add one.

Note that with `spacing-increment` it is possible to make the double
percent repeat *much* narrower as shown below.  I now wonder why I
can't do that with `extra-spacing-width` – what exactly controls the
minimum width of the double percent repeat's two bars?

    Werner

```
\markup "natural width"

{ \repeat percent 2 { g'1 | a'1 } }

\markup "width reduced with DoublePercentRepeat.extra-spacing-width"

{ \after 1*3 {
    \balloonGrobText DoublePercentRepeat #'(-1 . 2) "repeat"
    \once\override DoublePercentRepeat.extra-spacing-width = #'(2 . -2) }
  \repeat percent 2 { g'1 | a'1 } }

\markup "width reduced with SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment"

{ \after 1*2 {
    \newSpacingSection
    \override Score.SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment = #0.5 }
  \repeat percent 2 { g'1 | a'1 } }
```

PNG image