Re: "Meisters" in the Contributor's guide

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: "Meisters" in the Contributor's guide
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 00:13:31 +0100

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> There is this section in the Contributor's guide:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/contributor/meisters
>
> It lists four roles with decision power in the project.

I think that is a fundamental misunderstanding.  The roles are not roles
with decision power but rather roles with oversight and
responsibilities: those are person keeping tabs on certain activities
performed by multiple others.

> This dates back to older times where the team was
> quite different. These days, I don't think we have
> any formal structure like this apart from the Patch
> Meister role which remains. I wouldn't want to see
> formal governance processes either.

There weren't formal governance processed at any point of time.  Every
contributor does what they like to do.  The Meisters were trying to
track efforts in order to avoid people working at cross-purposes and
were providing guidance and structure in their area of responsibility.

> Ok to remove this?

It doesn't match what we are currently doing.  Not as much because it
was a bad idea, but rather because keeping volunteers engaged and
dealing with fluctuation was really kept working by the efforts of
informal Ubermeister Graham and slowly decayed after his departure from
the project.

--
David Kastrup