Re: RFC: Adding syntax highlighting to the official documentation

From: John Wheeler
Subject: Re: RFC: Adding syntax highlighting to the official documentation
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 22:18:17 -0600

Jean,

My concern for color blindness stemmed from having worked on government manuals probably two decades ago.  We were taught that you should include nothing that relied solely on color to make sense of the text.  If you are working to modern web accessibility guidelines you are certainly way ahead of what I can add to the subject.  I am sorry I did not pick up on that if you mentioned it before.

The other concern is more a personal thing with me.  When I say printed text, I was referring to pdf output. I will often print a pdf file so I can better read it from paper.  When you mentioned adding color to pdf files, you caught my attention.  I have seen too many books that I personally have a very hard time using because either someone has indiscriminately highlighted passages they thought important or the book designer decided to use color in some way to "guide" the reader. What other people must see as artful use of color I find so distracting that I struggle to follow the text.

I am showing my age here, but I have a daughter that tells me if I had been born this century, I would have been tested for autistic issues.  Though I have never been diagnosed, I suspect she would say my sensitivity to color stems from that source.

I hope this helps you understand my request that some way of printing black and white be preserved.

Thank you,

John