Re: Fwd: Binaries of LilyPond 2.23.5 with Guile 2.2

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Fwd: Binaries of LilyPond 2.23.5 with Guile 2.2
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 20:27:09 +0100

Le 16/12/2021 à 13:17, Lukas-Fabian Moser a écrit :

For a data point, about 1 Windows machine in 8
is running Windows these days.

... while the remaining 7 are not running.

(Sorry, not sure if the German pun works in English.)

Whoops, I meant "Windows 7" of course. The
accidental meaning you discovered in this sentence
isn't so removed from reality as I view it though... :-)

After working a couple of hours with this build, I noticed that it
segfaults from time to time
during bootup, i.e. before actually parsing the file. For some reason I
cannot reproduce it currently
even if running x times in a row.

Since it happens before processing the file it might be unrelated to the
recent GC crashes, not sure, however.

Jonas, could you build the binaries again without stripping debugging
symbols? And maybe one edition with
'--disable-optimisation' in addition to that?

A hard-to-reproduce crash in the wild like this
pretty much sounds like a GC problem.

I've not been debugging many GC issues, but something
I've heard can occasionally help reproducing one is
running a memory-intensive task in parallel to trigger
collections more frequently.

Best,
Jean