Re: Fwd: Binaries of LilyPond 2.23.5 with Guile 2.2

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Fwd: Binaries of LilyPond 2.23.5 with Guile 2.2
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 08:34:15 +0100

Am Donnerstag, dem 16.12.2021 um 08:19 +0100 schrieb Michael Käppler:
> Am 16.12.2021 um 08:00 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
> LilyPond development:
> > Am Donnerstag, dem 16.12.2021 um 00:11 +0100 schrieb Robin Bannister:
> > > A few hours ago I wrote (re 2.23.5fixed)

> > > The attached file details this in its Case 1.
> > >
> > > Case 2 is a workround using the 2.23.5 (1.8) system's python.
> > Ah yes: https://bugs.python.org/issue40740
> > So while we could technically stick to Python 3.8 for now, I'd argue
> > that Windows 7 is EOL since 2015, extended support ended almost two
> > years now (January 14, 2020). In my opinion, it doesn't make sense for
> > an open-source project to continue active support.
> If switching back to Python 3.8 would be the only thing needed to
> continue support for Windows 7, I would strongly suggest doing that.

The thing is, I don't know if that will be enough and I don't have the
intention of testing this setup.

> My gut feeling is that many active musicians are very interested in
> getting new, critical editions of _music_, but are rather conservative
> with regard to their technical setup ;)
> There are not few "features" that Microsoft introduced during the last
> Windows editions that tend to annoy users more than their awareness for
> security risks could compensate.

So why should be encourage them to run a known-insecure setup?

The additional problem is that Python 3.8 is already out of "full
support", which means that there are no bug fix releases anymore but
only security fix releases. Those are provided "source-only", so
without the embeddable package that we use for Windows. And I'm
strongly against using version 3.8.10 while there are known issues
fixed in 3.8.11 and 3.8.12!