Re: Fwd: Binaries of LilyPond 2.23.5 with Guile 2.2

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Fwd: Binaries of LilyPond 2.23.5 with Guile 2.2
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 14:25:49 +0100

Am Montag, dem 13.12.2021 um 22:09 +0100 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
> Am Mittwoch, dem 08.12.2021 um 21:51 +0100 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld via
> Discussions on LilyPond development:
> > If that still doesn't work, there are two more possibilities:
> > 1. We're missing an option in building some of the dependencies that I
> > had figured out for the proof-of-concept. I payed attention to a few
> > important ones, but I'm going to recheck.
>
> To give a quick update on this, I think I know why it works for me but
> for almost nobody else: I have my Windows configured with an English
> language pack, but German regional settings (Monday is the first day of
> the week! And you write dates as DD.MM.YYYY, not some other weird
> order!). I suspect this is sufficiently unusual that libraries don't
> load translated message strings. As soon as I switch to full English or
> full German, it also breaks for me.
>
> The Python scripts build gettext / libintl and libiconv differently
> (more correctly) than the shell scripts did, so this might explain why
> the older binaries worked. I'll try to figure out how I need to change
> the process to make it work.

I think I got it, can you give the newly built binaries in
https://cloud.hahnjo.de/index.php/s/3gpCEQnjZZAT8FJ a try? This uses
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1061 and works on
my system with a more common locale configuration, including properly
showing translated messages.

Thanks!
Jonas