Re: pygments support in PDFs with LM fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: pygments support in PDFs with LM fonts
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 07:39:12 +0000 (UTC)

> Stupid question: how do I find the path to TeXLive in the build
> system?

All TeXLive binaries are expected to be in PATH.  Why do you need the
path?

> Also, can we rely on TeX being installed via TeXLive? (This is a
> genuine question.)

TeXLive itself is a multi-gigabyte but modular monster; in the good
old `configure` tradition LilyPond checks only for the features it
actually needs.

For pygments with LM, the following additional tests would be
necessary.

* A check that the `pltotf` binary is present (it is part of the
  'fontware' TeXLive package).

* Checks for `fontinst.sty` (in the 'fontinst' package) and the LM
  fonts (in the 'lm' package).  Something like the following should
  work, using a pars pro toto approach.

    kpsewhich -format=tex fontinst.sty
    kpsewhich -format='type1 fonts' lmtl10

> Do we have CG instructions to update with respect to having lm and
> fontinst installed?

Yes.  For example, on my openSUSE box the following additional
packages would be necessary.

  texlive-lm            (for `.tfm` files)
  texlive-lm-fonts      (for `.pfb` files)
  texlive-fontinst      (for `fontinst.sty` and its necessary files;
                         the package 'texlive-fontinst-bin' is not
                         needed)
  texlive-fontware-bin  (the package 'texlive-fontware' is not needed)

    Werner