Re: [RFC] Updating the CI image and bumping requirements

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: [RFC] Updating the CI image and bumping requirements
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 15:30:32 +0200

Am Mittwoch, dem 27.01.2021 um 20:12 +0100 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
> Hi all,
>
> with 2.23.0 out, I'd like to update the CI image. The current one is
> based on Ubuntu 16.04 which will be EOL in April, a bit more than 2
> months from now. I think there are two logical replacements:
>  * Ubuntu 18.04, maintained until 2023-04
>  * Debian 9 Stretch, maintained until 2022-06
>
> Neither of them has Guile 1.8 packaged, so that'll have to be compiled
> when building the image anyway, but I'd like to go with Ubuntu 18.04
> because it has Guile 2.2.

With April passed, Ubuntu 16.04 has now reached its end-of-life and I'd
really like to replace it for CI testing. I've prepared the minimum
changes in https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/752 ,
without changing to Guile 2.2 (wasn't planned for this step anyway as
later on clarified in this thread) and without raising the minimum
version of Python.

Jonas