Re: Stop issue verification?

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Stop issue verification?
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 18:16:30 +0100

Le 26/10/2020 à 17:26, Dan Eble a écrit :

On Oct 26, 2020, at 11:50, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
   - Status::invalid, Status::duplicate and Status::shelved converted
     to plain labels.
What is the value of "shelved"?  We have 3 issues with that label and I don't
see what makes them special.

As far as I know, the typical use case would be things like
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/979
where development moved in completely different directions,
obviating the issue.

I agree that it sounds weird to have it on open issues in
the vein of
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/2072
On the other hand, there are also many patch-tracking issues
marked "Patch::abandoned" but still open. That's likely a separate
topic. Maybe we could rename Status::shelved to "Abandoned"
instead of "Shelved"?
The main purpose of this tag would be to exclude such tickets from searches of
open-or-fixed issues, correct?  I don't see a good reason to differentiate
between Abandoned and Invalid other than possibly to avoid an emotional
reaction.  If that is a problem, we could possibly work around it by choosing a
more neutral synonym (Void?) that works for both.
—
Dan

Avoiding emotional reactions is clearly an important part of this distinction. Something like "Void" or "Won't fix" would be a good option in my opinion.

Best, Jean