Re: Old build environments

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Re: Old build environments
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 21:21:11 +0100

Am 17.10.2020 um 10:08 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
Am Freitag, den 16.10.2020, 14:30 -0600 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 1:02 PM Michael Käppler <xmichael-k@web.de> wrote:
Hi all,
a few days ago I wanted to try how some functionality in LilyPond
worked, when it was added long
time ago. (about 15 years ago, around 2.7.x or 2.8.x)
Not very surprisingly I could not even get the code to compile with my
current build setup.

That made we wonder if it would be a good idea to store a build
environment that is proven to work
with the code base every, say, minor version bump.

I actually think that is the motivation for GUB.  You could checkout the
GUB repository for the appropriate date, and the LilyPond code should build
under GUB.
It might help, but keep in mind that all "packages" in tools:: must be
built by the system compiler. Running Arch Linux, I've had problems
with that far too often so you might hit similar issues with versions
of GUB from that time. And the version range sounds like the very
beginning of GUB...
Sorry for the late reply. Speaking from my experience, building GUB
is very time-consuming and error-prone.
My intention was to propose that we store a representation (Docker,
qemu-Image, whatever)
of a build environment proven to work for every minor version.
Maybe it is not worth the effort, I'm interested to hear what you think.

Cheers,
Michael