Re: helping with testing resources

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: helping with testing resources
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 12:51:45 +0200

Am Samstag, den 23.05.2020, 21:30 +0200 schrieb Valentin Villenave:
> On 5/23/20, Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:
> > If you have spare hardware and / or want to help with CI testing, this
> > is easy to setup with GitLab. First you'll need their runner and I'll
> > defer to the excellent documentation:
> > https://docs.gitlab.com/runner/
> >
> > As testing uses Docker, those sections also apply to you.
>
> Thanks for setting that up; I noticed you’re willing to run it on your
> laptop; what possibilities are there for contributing to the “swarm”
> part-time?  The doc appears to be tilted towards servers and mostly
> refers to the runner as a system service (as far as I’ve seen); I can
> run it at night (Europe time) but I can’t afford to run it while I’m
> needing the CPU cycles for my own make & make doc…
>
> So I just wanted to know about your own setup, and the possible
> downsides of having too many intermittent runners.

I'm intending to run it as a system service that I start when I don't
need my laptop. Using a bit of extra configuration, it will shutdown
gracefully without killing the currently running job:
https://docs.gitlab.com/runner/configuration/init.html#overriding-systemd

I'm currently researching how GitLab schedules jobs. Unfortunately it
seems to be first-come-first-serve, so no priority for currently online
specific runners. But every runner, if intermittent or not, has a
chance of getting a job assigned.

Jonas