Re: Markup vertical alignment

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Markup vertical alignment
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 20:36:39 +0200

On 5/20/20, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
> The same is true of the next section on horizontal and vertical alignment.

Yes, I tried to rewrite a few things in there. Could you have a look
and tell me if that makes thing less confusing in your opinion?

On 5/20/20, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> \hspace and \vspace have changed since then in that they have empty
> height and width, respectively (not even including a single point).

> \markup { word \hspace #0 space }
>
> now is the same visually as
>
> \markup { word space }
>
> when it used to add wordspace twice, once before \hspace #0 and once
> behind it.

And it’s even worse with \markup { word \null space }.

By the way, isn’t it time to retire \null? Or at least change its
oh-so-deceptive name. (\point might be confusing in another way,
though; I’m open to suggestions.)

Cheers,
-- V.